Ammonia Safety is our number one priority, and our mission is help sustain ammonia as the safest refrigerant known to man. ARTS ammonia safety class designed specifically people in mind for people who work around and or manage the ammonia refrigeration system. These prospective students don’t directly operate the system themselves. If so they should take Ammonia Operator 1. Key roles that that this class is designed for is plant management, first responders, supervisors, general safety, environmental safety, process safety, hazmat, and other key employee positions that have impact to the ammonia refrigeration system operations and maintenance tasks. We call this class
No general background or prerequisites are needed to take this class. Aptitudes needed for a better understanding will be mathematics, observation, applied technology, locating information, and reading for information. The class is two day in length when taken in person and online you have six months to complete.
Each student receives a copy of ARTS E-Book titled “Ammonia Refrigeration Safety – The Beginnings” and the course covers the following topics.
- Video Lectures of the pros and cons of ammonia as a refrigerant.
- What happens when we don’t keep it in the pipes and how to safely work with ammonia as a refrigerant
- Deep understanding of ammonia properties and how the chemical behaves
- CAMEO Software and release allowances
Regulatory Awareness and Requirements
- OSHA – PSM
- OSHA – Safe Work Practice
- OSHA – Respiratory Protection
- OSHA – HazWoper
- First Responder Levels
- OSHA – General Duty
- EPA – RMP
- EPA – General Duty
- Ammonia Release reporting requirements
- PPE Requirements
- Air Monitoring
- Lessons Learned
- Best Practices / RAGAGEP